Purpose of Toroidal Core in Transformers
Toroidal ferrite core or toroidal cores are an important part of transformers because of their functional values and contribution for energy conservation. They are lightweight and are produced with an enclosed-loop core which offers a higher magnetic field.
In this blog, we are going to explain how toroidal cores are used in transformers and what part they play in their operation.
What are toroidal ferrite core?
Toroidal Cores are small MnZn based soft ferrite cores. They offer the benefit of high magnetic efficiency, which is why they are highly preferred over other ferrites. They are produced with a uniform cross-section area and a coating that provides high breakdown voltage.
Sizes of toroidal ferrite core
The toroidal cores are available in several sizes to suit different transformer designs. These include T0904, T1003, T1004, T1005, T1005A, T1808, T1810, T2007, T2206, and more.
Use of toroidal ferrite core in Transformer
Transformers are magnetic devices that are integral to electrical systems. They help in transferring electric energy from one circuit to another without the use of any moving parts. The energy is transferred through a shared magnetic field that results in changes in the flow of current from one circuit to the other. Their best use is the ability of these transformers to transfer power through long distances.
The ring shape of toroidal cores makes them ideal for transformers because of several reasons:
- They save resources on output, consuming less energy, which makes ring-shaped cores more effective compared to others
- Their shape is ideal to produce transformers with minimum resources
- Their windings cover the whole magnetic core uniformly while extending over the surface and leaving no air gaps
- Their windings are short, which produces lower resistance and increases the performance of the toroidal transformers
Advantages of toroidal ferrite core for Transformer
1. Lightweight: Toroidal ferrite core are compact as they are produced using only a few materials. So, they are 50% lighter and are ideal for manufacturing transformers.
2. Higher Magnetic Field: The ring-shaped toroidal cores have a higher magnetic field and inductance. This happens because most of the magnetic field is saved within their closed-loop structure.
3. Lower Impedance: The windings of toroidal cores are quite short and wound in an enclosed magnetic field. Owing to this, they carry lower impedance, which results in higher efficiency and higher electrical performance.
4. Lesser Electromagnetic Interference (EMI): Toroidal cores are round, so the small magnetic flux escapes from them easily. As a result, they radiate less electromagnetic interference which makes them suitable for the `environment.
5. Acquires lesser space: Toroidal ferrite core occupy at least 64% lesser volume in transformers as they are smaller than other lined cores.
Major Applications of Toroidal Core Transformers:
- Induction Heating
- EMI/ EMC Filter Choke
- Telecommunication systems
- Security Systems
- Industrial Control Equipment
- Power Distribution Equipment
- Automotive Electronics
- Electrical Equipment
The advantageous nature of toroidal cores or toroidal ferrite core, makes them a preferable choice for transformers that are used in a wide range of industries. At Cosmo Ferrites, we produce superior quality toroidal ferrites and customized solutions to adapt to unique requirements. You can contact us to get a quote for buying these ferrite cores or to know more.